Giving Tuesday was started in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation as a response to all of the consumerism following Thanksgiving (Black Friday and Cyber Monday).
Now in its 6th year #GivingTuesday serves as a way to encourage people to give of their time, talents and resources; and as a reminder to live generously during the holiday season.
In honor of Giving Tuesday here are a few ways you can be generous this holiday season:
With Your Time:
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen, senior center, or in your local Young Life club!
- Go on an Expedition! We have several Open Team opportunities, you can read more about them here!
- Host Young Life Serves on MLK Day (Jan 15) in your local YL area and encourage your friends to participate in this day of service! Get more info here!
With Your Talents:
- Use your social media to encourage others to give generously
- Write kind handwritten notes to thank people who have been influential in your life
- Use your talents as a writer, photographer, chef, athlete, student, friend, musician, gamer, etc. to encourage someone who may need some encouragement or a friend
- Sit with someone during a meal that you wouldn’t normally sit with and engage them in conversation
With Your Resources:
- Make a donation to Young Life’s Every Kid Scholarship Fund (a fund that allows students in under-resourced areas to have the opportunity to serve on Expeditions) by buying coffee here or donating here
- Buy a hot chocolate for someone who looks like they could a warm drink
- Sponsor a child through an organization like World Vision or Compassion International